Making the most of your observation time in the classroom
- Prepare yourself for a lovely time. You are not responsible for the well-being of any individual during your observation.
- Enter into the spirit of the community; experience the joy, spontaneity and growing independence of the group.
- Look at all the children. Try to figure out who is in their 1st , 2nd or 3rd year of the program.
- Listen to the children as they speak, move, sing, work and solve problems.
Help the children by:
- allowing them to go about their daily routine without your interference;
- telling them that you are observing today, if you are approached;
- sitting back in your observation chair and resisting any temptation to leap up and help;
- jotting down any questions which may pop into your head as you observe, we will be happy to talk later.
A Guide to Observing in the Primary Classroom
A Guide to Observation in the Elementary Classroom